Full Time Summer Job: Student Museum Assistant - Prairie Wind and Silver Sage
Are you a student between the ages of 16 and 30 who is legally entitled to work in Canada and who is returning to post-secondary education in the fall? Are you interested in history and natural history and people? Would you like to spend your summer in a work environment that’s friendly and positive, in a village next to one of Canada’s most beautiful national parks? Would you like the chance to work with fascinating projects and make friends from all over the world?
If so, you should consider applying for this full time position open with Prairie Wind & Silver Sage – Friends of Grasslands, an internationally recognized ecomuseum providing a wide range of services in a Heritage building to a discerning and appreciative customer base from around the world, located in Val Marie, Saskatchewan.
Accommodation in Val Marie is inexpensive and can be arranged as needed. PWSS will assist in finding housing for the successful candidate. Some costs to relocate to Val Marie may be repaid by separate funding.
Job Description: Museum Assistant, May 12 to August 31, 2018. Pay is $12.50/hour plus tips and and standard benefits, 36 hours per week. Some extra hours are possible. The successful candidate will be a full time student returning to a recognized post-secondary educational program and legally entitled to work in Canada.
Application Deadline: Application deadline is March 9 but applications may be considered as they are received; therefore candidates are encouraged to apply early. PWSS is an equal opportunity employer and women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and Aboriginal peoples are encouraged to apply.
- Maintain and help operate gift store inventory to maximize visitor appreciation and purchases;
- Operate and maintain espresso bar concession to maximize visitor appreciation and purchases;
- Operate point of sales terminal and complete end-of-day financial transactions;
- Perform museum and art exhibition-related tasks;
- Work with Board members and volunteers appropriately to develop and carry out organization exhibitions, programs and promotion;
- Greet and direct visitors to view museum and art gallery exhibitions;
- Provide visitor information as required;
- Refer visitors to other available community services as needed;
- Present a positive public face of PWSS to the community.
Training will be provided.
Candidate should have:
- Excellent communications skills;
- Background in serving the public and in meeting, working with and responding to a variety of people;
- Interest in and/or experience with retail and food service;
- Interest in and/or experience with museum and art gallery exhibitions;
- Interest in and/or experience with public programming; interest in and/or experience with ecologically-based organizations;
- Basic office skills including email, Internet, telephone etiquette, word processing;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Interest and/or experience in contributing to a community;
- Ability to work in a heritage building with stairs and no elevator in a small space requiring mobility.
- Safe food handling course is an asset.
To Apply: Submit an application with cover letter and resume by email before March 9, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be considered as they are received so candidates are encouraged to apply early. Please be sure you meet Young Canada Works requirements for eligibility. You can confirm these under How to Apply on the YCW website.
To be considered, a candidate must be:
- A full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the job and intending to return to full-time studies in the semester following the job;
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident or with refugee status in Canada;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Between 16 and 30 years of age;
- Willing to commit to the full duration of the job.
Candidates selected for interview will be asked to provide documentation of eligibility. Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible. Non-students are not eligible.
Prairie Wind & Silver Sage – Friends of Grasslands (PWSS) is an internationally recognized ecomuseum providing a wide range of services in a Heritage building to a discerning and appreciative customer base from around the world. Located in Val Marie, Saskatchewan, PWSS is the museum of the cultural and natural history of Grasslands National Park and the Val Marie area in southwest Saskatchewan. PWSS is recognized as a Pilot Project Saskatchewan ecomuseum by the Royal Saskatchewan Museum and works with its community and with Grasslands National Park to promote the conservation of native prairie landscapes while inviting the exploration and appreciation of prairie culture and natural history.
Please review the PWSS website at www.pwss.org for a complete idea of our programs.