The Marr Residence is the oldest house in Saskatoon still standing on its original site. Built by Alexander (Sandy) Marr in 1884, it was one of the first substantial houses to appear in the original Temperance Colony of Saskatoon. Mr. Marr brought his wife and family west, drawn by the lure of homestead land, and a chance to make a living in the new colony.
Obtained by the City of Saskatoon in 1979, the house has been restored to show what life was like in the 1880’s. Interpretive material describes the development of the small community on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River and the relationship between colonists and First Nations residents of the area. There is substantial interpretation of the use of the house as a Field Hospital, during the Northwest Resistance of 1885. The house is a municipal heritage site and is operated by a volunteer Board of Directors. It is open for regular programs, workshops and tours throughout the year.
The house is situated on 11th St. East, just west of Victoria Ave., at the top of Victoria Bridge. (currently closed). Use the Broadway bridge to get to 11th St. E.
January – January
Open for programs, tours and workshops throughout the year, not open on a daily basis.