20th Architectural Heritage Awards Winners Announced
Four MAS members received recognition at the 20th Annual Lieutenant Governor of SK Architectural Heritage Awards held June 9th at Government House in Regina. The Lt. Governor’s Architectural Heritage Awards are sponsored by the Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan.
In the Category of Rehabilitation – The City of Humboldt was recognized for the rehabilitation of the former Merchants Bank of Canada into the Humboldt Art Gallery. This project can serve as a model for rehabilitating historic structures particularly in the manner in which it successfully incorporated modern building codes in an unimposing manner.
In the Category of Long-Term Stewardship three member institutions were recognized.
The Town of Indian Head was recognized for preserving the 1907 brick fire hall. When it was replaced by a new fire hall, the town retained ownership of the building transforming it into a key component of the Indian Head Museum. The town’s on-going care for the physical structure is an indication of the cultural value the Town of Indian Head places on its heritage assets.
The Sukanen Ship Pioneer Village and Museum located approximately 10 km south of Moose Jaw has assembled an impressive collection of over 40 buildings since its establishment in 1968. The Museum’s volunteers work to ensure that the on-going maintenance of the buildings utilizes heritage paint colours and original materials whenever possible.
Wanuskewin Heritage Park located above Opimihaw Creek and the South Saskatchewan River near Saskatoon has been a special place for Northern Plains Indigenous peoples for thousands of years. The Wanuskewin Heritage Park became a Provincial Heritage Property in 1983. In 1987, Queen Elizabeth II declared it a National Historic Site, and in 1992 the Interpretive Centre and trails were opened to the public. Wanuskewin Heritage Park is a living reminder of the sacred relationship with the land and the First Nations people.
Congratulations to all of the Award recipients!
More information, including photographs will be available on the Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan’s website, www.ahsk.ca.