Certificate Program in Community Museum Studies
The Certificate in Community Museum Studies is a comprehensive, ten-course program, designed to give that provides entry-level training in museum management and operations. Participants will gain the skills they need in order to successfully operate a public community museum. Each course is offered in a scheduled rotation in locations across Saskatchewan on a two to three year rotation.
Courses in the Certificate Program include:
- Museums 101
- Care of Collections
- Collections Management
- Exhibit Design and Planning
- Marketing the Museum
- Museums and Education
- Museums and Community
- Organization and Management
- Volunteer Management
Any individual may enroll in the Certificate Program. To achieve receive the Certificate in Community Museum Studies, participants must attend all each of required the courses, and complete successfully complete all the assignments with a passing grade. Upon successful completion of the program, a certificate will be issued.
What are the objectives of the program?
The certificate program aims to:
- Promote the fundamentals of museum practice and philosophy •Introduce museum workers to current knowledge and techniques for good museum practice.
- Assist museum workers in applying their new learning to their institutions.
- Promote the Value of Continuing Education.
- Give museum workers training that results in recognized qualifications.
- Serve museums through a training program tailored to their needs.
- Facilitate recognition of the specialized skills, knowledge and standards of excellence needed for the successful management and operation of a museum.
What are the benefits of the certificate program?
Participating in the certificate program will give you opportunities to gain the knowledge and skills to operate a successful public museum. You can network with colleagues from throughout the province, share your ideas and concerns with expert instructors and fellow museum practitioners, and learn to apply course material to your own museum.
Questions? Call Dan Holbrow, MAS Professional Development Coordinator at 306-780-9241.